As regulations surrounding flood insurance change and as the cost of insurance rises, expertise matters more than ever. It’s no longer enough for many homeowners to trust their banks’ assessment as to whether they need to purchase flood insurance: That determination can result in hundreds of dollars added to monthly payments – and hundreds of thousands of dollars in added costs over the lifetime of a loan. For many, this can compromise quality of life, or drain retirement savings. In some cases, it can result in families losing their homes.
Flood Zone Specialists was formed by three experienced professional surveyors trained and Certified in Flood Plain Management in response to the growing need for professional, impartial, expert elevation measurement services. We realized that new regulations, increasingly stringent enforcement of existing regulations, and a variety of other factors would result in increased costs to Michigan homeowners—and we knew we could do something about it, helping one family at a time.
For seven years Michigan homeowners, financial services companies and realtors have turned to Flood Zone Specialists for the dedicated, results-driven assistance that our experts can provide. We’ve conducted over three thousand inquiries and have saved over 1800 residents from paying flood insurance. Are you paying for flood insurance you don’t need? Talk to one of our experts at Flood Zone Specialists. We’ll be happy to help.
At Flood Zone Specialists, we are exactly what our company name says: A team of experienced, trained, certified and dedicated experts focused exclusively on flood zone services to Michigan home and business owners. Individually and collectively we have the knowledge and expertise it takes to provide authoritative, expert consultation, and to deliver expert guidance with regard to reclassification and remediation efforts.
JOE KAPELCZAK, P.S.
With nearly forty years of professional experience, Joe Kapelczak is a seasoned professional whose extensive county and municipal experience provides him with an exhaustive network of professional contacts with unique insight into local government operations. He has also served as president of his own firm, JCK & Associates, since 1978, and works as a surveyor for Tri-County Surveying.
DAVID P. SMITH, P.S., C.F.M.
Flood Zone Specialists partner David P. Smith brings extensive professional expertise to his work for the firm. Smith is a FEMA Certified Flood Plain Manager, a licensed builder, and a Michigan Storm Water Operator.
- B. S. Degree in Surveying, May 1984, Ferris State College (now University), Big Rapids, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Completed the first part of the N.C.E.E. test for licensing August, 1984.
- Completed the second part of the N.C.E.E. test for licensing August, 1986.
- Licensed in the State of Michigan, August 1987, License No. 33140
- Certified FEMA Community Flood plain Manager (US-11-05618)
- Professional Land Surveyor, State of Michigan, #33140
- Michigan Builders License #21101121160
- Certified DNR Storm Water Technician – #C01051
- Assc. State Floodplain Managers
- Oakland County Register of Deeds (Remonumentation)
- Michigan Society of Registered Land Surveyors (MSRLS), Treasurer
- National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS)
- American Congress on Surveying & Mapping (ACSM)
- Southeast Michigan Council of Government (SEMCOG)
- White Lake Township Board of Construction Appeals
- Board of Directors, YMCA, Village of Milford
- Downtown Development Authority, Commerce Twp.